The use of Propalin is not appropriate for the treatment of behavioural causes of inappropriate urination. Do not administer to patients treated with non-selective monoamine oxidase inhibitors.
Do not use in case of known hypersensitivity to active substance or to any of the excipients.
In the course of field clinical trials, loose stools, liquid diarrhoea, decrease in appetite, arrhythmia and collapse were reported in some dogs. Treatment was continued depending on the severity of the undesirable effect observed.
Sympathomimetics may produce a wide range of effects, most of which mimic the results of excessive stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system (e.g. effects on heart rate and blood pressure).
Dizziness and restlessness were also occasionally reported. Hypersensitivity may occur in very rare cases.
Phenylpropanolamine, a sympathomimetic drug, may affect the cardiovascular system, especially blood pressure and heart rate, and should be used with caution in animals with cardiovascular diseases.
Care should be exercised in treating animals with severe renal or hepatic insufficiency, diabetes mellitus, hyperadrenocorticism, glaucoma, hyperthyroidism or other metabolic disorders.
In bitches less than 1 year old the possibility of anatomical disorders contributing to incontinence should be considered prior to treatment.
Do not administer to pregnant or lactating bitches.
Care should be exercised in administering Propalin Syrup with other sympathomimetic drugs, anticholinergic drugs, tricyclic antidepressants or specific type B monoamine oxidase inhibitors. It should not be used in patients treated with non-selective monoamine oxidase inhibitors.
In healthy dogs, no side effects were observed at up to 5 times the recommended dosage. However, an overdose of phenylpropanolamine could produce symptoms of excessive stimulation of the sympathic nervous system. Treatment should be symptomatic. Alpha-adrenergic blockers may be appropriate in the case of severe overdose. However, no specific recommendation on drugs or dosages can be given.
In the absence of compatibility studies, this veterinary medicinal product must not be mixed with other veterinary medicinal products.
Phenylpropanolamine Hydrochloride is toxic when overdoses are ingested. Adverse effects may include dizziness, headache, nausea, insomnia or restlessness, and increased blood pressure. High overdose may be fatal, especially in children.
To avoid accidental ingestion, the product must be used and kept out of reach of children. Always replace the cap securely after use. In the event of accidental ingestion, seek immediate medical attention showing the physician the package insert.
In the event of accidental skin contact, wash the contaminated area with soap and water. Wash hands after use of the product.
In the event of accidental eye contact, rinse the eye with clean water for about 15 minutes and seek medical advice.